As the Commonwealth moves into Phase III of the reopening plan, businesses should take care to stay in compliance with the Mandatory Safety Standards for Workplaces. These standards apply universally to all reopening workplaces, and are designed to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission to employees and customers during the first phase of reopening, and are applicable to all sectors and industries.
The safety standards are supplemented by sector-specific safety protocols and recommended best practices, which provide further details and limited exceptions.
- All persons, including employees, customers, and vendors should remain at least six feet apart to the greatest extent possible, both inside and outside workplaces
- Establish protocols to ensure that employees can practice adequate social distancing
- Provide signage for safe social distancing
- Require face coverings or masks for all employees
- Provide hand washing capabilities throughout the workplace
- Ensure frequent hand washing by employees and adequate supplies to do so
- Provide regular sanitization of high touch areas, such as workstations, equipment, screens, doorknobs, restrooms throughout work site
Staffing and Operations
- Provide training for employees regarding the social distancing and hygiene protocols
- Employees who are displaying COVID-19-like symptoms do not report to work
- Establish a plan for employees getting ill from COVID-19 at work, and a return-to-work plan
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Establish and maintain cleaning protocols specific to the business
- When an active employee is diagnosed with COVID19, cleaning and disinfecting must be performed
- Disinfection of all common surfaces must take place at intervals appropriate to said workplace
Sector Specific Safety Protocols and Best Practices
- Mandatory safety protocols and recommended best practices are available for sectors that are eligible to open through Phase III. Additional sector guidance for future phases will be issued at a later date.
Poster and Translations
- Posters are available that businesses can print and display within the business premises regarding these mandatory standards for maintaining social distancing, hygiene protocols, staffing and operations, and cleaning and disinfecting.