One of my highest priorities as your State Representative has been to create jobs and job training opportunities for the people of Cape Ann. Working with our state, local, non-profit, and corporate partners, we have created pathways to new careers for the people on Cape Ann, which serve as models for communities throughout out Massachusetts. Some of these opportunities include:
- GHS-ENSATS-Laborers Pre-Apprenticeship Program, an academic partnership for Gloucester High School students who want to go into the trades as a union craft laborer.
- Gloucester Biotechnology Academy, which prepares post-high school students for careers as entry-level technicians in biotechnology and life sciences laboratories.
- MediClerk Training Program from Wellspring House, an occupational education program training adult job-seekers for entry level administrative and support positions within the health care field.
- Trades Gateway Program from Action Inc, which connects job seekers with the training they need to become an Electrician, Plumber, HVAC Technician, Commercial Truck Driver, and more.
- Advanced Manufacturing Training Expansion Program, in partnership with the GE Foundation, which aims to prepare Cape Ann high school students and adult learners for careers in advanced manufacturing.
These specific programs are in addition to the career counseling services offered by local organizations such as Action Inc. and Wellspring House, as well as the Commonwealth’s MassHire Career Centers.
Additionally, the Commonwealth recently announced the “HireNow” program, another effort the Commonwealth is making statewide to help employers hire and train new workers and to get people back to work in the post-pandemic world.
I’m extremely proud of the work we have done to build these pathways for our students and residents who wish to embark on a career that will help them provide for themselves and their families. I encourage you to share this information should you have a friend or family member on Cape Ann who is looking for a job or a new career.